Do you have a student going back to college in the coming weeks? If so, it is important to remember these tips when reviewing both your home and auto insurance policies to ensure you have proper coverage while your student is away at school.
- Personal Property coverage – consider your current homeowner’s contents coverage extension and deductible.
- Consider a separate renter’s insurance policy so if your student must make a claim, it does not affect your homeowner’s premium - the deductible is typically much lower than the homeowner’s deductible.
- Consider scheduling items such as expensive computer equipment.
- Liability coverage – extremely important for students away at school, make sure personal injury coverage is included with the liability coverage.
- Make an inventory of the belongings your student is taking with them and take photos or video.
- Coverage considerations with a car at school – consider parking restrictions, the cost of insurance at the city your child will be living in, theft and vandalism data for the city.
- Will your child be over 100 miles away from home without a car? If so, you may get a discount.
- Keep your child as a listed driver on the family policy in order to cover them as a pedestrian or if they are driving in someone else’s car.
- Make sure to update your child’s Good Student Discount every year.
Reviewing and updating insurance policies can be confusing, we’re here to help. Contact us today with any questions you may have.