- 2-6 washed and dried apples
- 2-6 apple skewers
- An 11 oz bag of caramel cubes, unwrapped
- 2 tbsp of heavy cream
- Caramel apple bags (optional)
- Any or all of the following: Sprinkles, candy corn, candy faces, shredded coconut, crushed Oreos, crushed toffee pieces, mini-M&Ms, crushed graham crackers, kosher salt, granola, chocolate chips, melted chocolate; your choices are only limited by your imagination. Note: Nuts are great, too, but know your audience - nuts and children may not mix well due to allergies.
- Insert the skewers into the apples and place aside.
- Combine the caramels and heavy cream in a saucepan and heat on low.
- While melting the caramels and cream, stir to prevent burning. Stirring too much can cause bubbles to form and not stirring enough can cause the mixture to burn. So, stir with your heart.
- When the mixture is a thick, creamy sauce, remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Dip your apples so that they are thoroughly coated and place them on a greased sheet of parchment paper until they’ve cooled. If you’re adding toppings, do so before the caramel has cooled. It the caramel cools too much between dippings, pour it into a microwave safe bowl and put it into the microwave a few seconds at a time, stirring in between, until it’s once again the right consistency for dipping. Repeat if necessary.
- When apples are cool you can carefully wrap them in plastic wrap for serving or handing out later. You can also buy special caramel apple bags in stores or online.